Become an Even Better Leader
Saturday, November 2, 2013
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (check in begins at 7:15 a.m.)
Brentwood United Methodist Church
309 Franklin Rd, Brentwood, TN
Click here for online registration.
What is College of Commissioner Science?
The College of Commissioner Science is an advanced training program where our council's commissioner staff offers a rich variety of courses designed to help you further develop leadership, communications, management, and Commissioner skills in order to improve your ability to serve youth.
The commissioner college format is modeled after college courses and degrees and usually requires four years to complete all three degrees. This format is used to encourage a continuing education experience for commissioners.
The college borrows terminology from higher education. Session topics become “courses” with course numbers. Courses in the “curriculum” are divided into three program levels:
- Bachelor's program: Completion of seven courses of instruction, at least five of the courses at the bachelor’s program level.
- Master's program: Completion of seven additional courses of instruction (total of 14), at least seven of the courses at the master’s program level.
- Doctor's program: Completion of 10 additional courses of instruction not used to qualify for other college awards (total of 24), at least five of the courses at the doctor’s program level and completion of a thesis or project on any topic of value to Scouting in the local council.
Awards are called degrees:
- Bachelor of Commissioner Science
- Master of Commissioner Science
- Doctor of Commissioner Science
A diploma is awarded to each participant who completes the degree requirements. Assuming the normal progression, the bachelor of commissioner science is awarded the first year, the master of commissioner science the second year, and the third year a student prepares to write a thesis and participates at the college as an instructor. The fourth year the doctor of commissioner science is awarded upon acceptance of the thesis and completion of 24 courses.
College Highlights for 2013
- Nationally Recognized Commissioner Trainers & Courses
- Professional, Friendly, Knowledgeable Staff
- Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, & Advanced Study Degrees
- Roundtable Commissioner College Offered this Year
- New College Curriculums and Classes
- All New College Patches will be Awarded this Year
- Exellent Presentations and Keynote Speaker
- Light Breakfast & Catered Lunch Provided
- Commissioner Trading Post
- Registration just $25
This year at the college, we welcome special guest and keynote speaker Mark Ray. He is an award winning Author & is well know in the Scouting world for his editorial & publication work in Scouting Magazin and has authored several books including: The Scoutmaster's Other Handbook, The Eagle Court of Honor, and The Complete Guide to Scouting's Greatest Moments. Mark is also the key contributor & author of the BSA's new Scoutmaster's Handbook that is scheduled to be released this summer through BSA supply channels and Scout Shops. Author signed book copies will be available for purchase at the college trading post.
For Questions Regarding the College, Please contact: College Dean, Craig Munsee: firstname.lastname@example.org